New Zealand establishes international information technology review group
8 September 2010
The New Zealand JTC 1 'Information Technology' international review group is currently being established. The group will provide New Zealand's input into the ISO/IEC JTC 1 committee. This input will include:
- determining which subjects in JTC 1's remit are of interest to the review group
- establishing a New Zealand position on items for commenting and balloting
- providing advice to New Zealand on new items of interest and where possible identifying interested parties to participate and resource these activities.
Standards New Zealand recognises the importance of ensuring that where New Zealand participates on international Standards development committees,the New Zealand position on issues is thoroughly canvassed with affected stakeholders, and that these views are well represented at the appropriate international Standards fora. This new group will provide an opportunity for New Zealand stakeholders to form a New Zealand position on matters that are being considered by the ISO/IEC JTC 1 committee.
Organisations that have been invited to nominate a representative to the group include:
- New Zealand Information and Communication Technologies Group
- New Zealand Computer Society
- Telecommunications Users Association New Zealand (TUANZ)
- GS1 – NZ
- New Zealand Open Source Society
- Auckland University of Technology
- Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB)
- Department of Internal Affairs
- Department of Defence
- New Zealand Software Association
ISO/IEC JTC 1 was formed in 1987 and has written over 2000 Standards in the field of information technology. They cover topics from biometrics to software engineering to corporate governance of IT. More information about the past and current work of ISO/IEC JTC 1 can be found at the ISO website.
Related Touchstone article
Stay in touch
Subscribe to Standards New Zealand's monthly e-magazine Touchstone for the very latest news on Standards.
The question is not what you gain from standardisation, it's what you lose without it.
Standards New Zealand
(04) 495 0918
About Standards New Zealand
Standards New Zealand is the operating arm of the Standards Council, and part of New Zealand's standards and conformance infrastructure. Standards New Zealand is an autonomous Crown entity responsible for managing the development and distribution of Standards across a range of sectors nationally.
Standards New Zealand is a self-funded, not-for-profit organisation, relying on revenue primarily from contracts with sponsors to develop Standards, and from sales of Standards publications. Our independence helps us facilitate a cross section of stakeholders' contributions to the development of Standards, and ensure that each Standard meets the needs of end users.